with Dr. David Rosch
Dr. David Rosch returns to Phronesis to discuss the state of the field of leadership studies.
Quotes From This Episode
- “I would like to start a conversation in our field – “What does it really mean to be an effective leader in a way that we can all get around some agreement?”
- (In part, our work is about) “Trying to help leaders and emerging leaders see things in new, more complex, more mature ways.”
- (Leadership scholars are) “all using different vocabulary to talk about not identical concepts, but overlapping concepts, it would be good to start talking about, well, what do we mean in a disciplined way?”
- “We’re not teaching students how to make more effective meaning of what’s going on in front of them so that they can apply the concepts in their actual life, on a minute-to-minute basis.”
- “Most introduction to leadership courses are really an introduction to the history of leadership studies.”
About Dr. David Rosch
Dave Rosch assumed the position of Director of the Agricultural Leadership, Education, and Communications Program in August 2019 after a year as Interim Associate Dean of Academic Programs. He also serves as an Associate Professor in the Program, where he teaches courses on leadership theory and development and conducts research on the impact of leadership training initiatives. During his time on the faculty in ACES, he has been named to the university list of “Teachers Ranked as Excellent” each semester. He also currently serves as the Editor of the Journal of Campus Activities Practice and Scholarship and the co-editor of the book series “Contemporary Issues in Leadership Development” published by Information Age Press. Additionally, Dave is the Senior Research Fellow for the Collegiate Leadership Competition.
Dave has served as Chair of the Leadership Scholarship Member Interest Group in the International Leadership Association, the co-coordinator of the National Leadership Symposium, and as a faculty member for the Leadership Educators Academy. In 2016, Dave was awarded the inaugural Distinguished Scholar Award from the Association of Leadership Educators. Dave earned a PhD in Higher Education from Syracuse University, an MS in Student Affairs from Colorado State University, and a BS in Psychology from Binghamton University.
Host Scott J. Allen
Scott J. Allen, Ph.D., is the Standard Products—Dr. James S. Reid Chair in Management at John Carroll University. He is an associate professor and teaches courses in leadership, management skills, and executive communication. He is also a communications coach, consultant, author, podcast host, and entrepreneur. For almost two decades, he’s worked with clients to improve their leadership and communication skills. Learn more about Scott here.
Phronesis: Practical Wisdom for Leaders offers a smart, fast-paced discussion on all things leadership. Scott and his expert guests cover timely, relevant topics and incorporate practical tips designed to help you make a difference in how you lead and live.