Coach & Educator
Professor, Virginia Tech
The Followership Member Community is dedicated to the development of knowledge, competencies, and programs concerning the leader-follower relationship. We focus on research, collaboration, and dissemination of ideas and information.
We are a passionate group of academics and practitioners looking to engage in conversations for all things followership! Whether you’re completely new to this fascinating concept, or already have an interest, we’d love to hear from you and for you to join our community- please get in touch!
We invite you to join us March 24-26, 2023 for the second Global Followership Conference, hosted by Christopher Newport University in Newport News, VA
Priorities and Projects
- Infusing notions of followership into mainstream leadership discussions, research, and approaches
- Generating greater interest in followership studies within the ILA and other organizations
- Developing a network of scholars who want to focus on followership and leader-follower relationships
- Creating a practitioner network of consultants, coaches, and leaders who employ leader-follower practices
- Supporting scholars and practitioners seeking to learn more about followership and to engage with others in the field
- Fostering collaborations on followership practices, research, publications, and pedagogical approaches
- Developing our online space on ILA Intersections to encourage conversations, collaborations, and networking.
Already an ILA Member?
Not a Member? Join ILA first.
Sample Followership Resources
Essentials of Followership: When You Finally Realize That Leadership Isn’t Enough.
Live 16 November, 12pm EST / -5UTC. The leadership discipline has given rise to many insights and ideas that work…sometimes. Explore the growing field of followership and discover that followers matter far more than we think they do!
Global Followership – Assessing Leading and Following Factors Across Cultures
With Abdurrahim Hocagil, Albena Ivanova, Petros Malakyan, and Violet E. Taylor (Moderator)
How to Share Leadership and Followership
With Marc Hurwitz, Samantha Hurwitz, and Sharna Fabiano (Moderator)
Cultivating a Culture of Yes: The Courage to Teach Followership Through the Seven Elements of Improv
How do you teach followership to business students? Dr. Kerri Cissna takes us through seven improv exercises she uses to teach followership and its impact on improving an organization’s bottom line.
Leadership and the God of Small Things
In the middle of COP26, Keith Grint asks: “How do we mobilize the population to take responsibility for the planet when their personal contribution might appear to them to be materially irrelevant?” And, what does this have to do with notions about leadership, followership, and systemic change?
In Defense of Leadership (and Followership)
Are the terms leadership, leading, and leader simply too toxic to be useful anymore? ILA member Sharna Fabiano explores this provocative question in our latest blog.