Coach & Educator
Professor, Virginia Tech
The Followership Member Community is dedicated to the development of knowledge, competencies, and programs concerning the leader-follower relationship. We focus on research, collaboration, and dissemination of ideas and information.
We are a passionate group of academics and practitioners looking to engage in conversations for all things followership! Whether you’re completely new to this fascinating concept, or already have an interest, we’d love to hear from you and for you to join our community- please get in touch!
Priorities and Projects
- Infusing notions of followership into mainstream leadership discussions, research, and approaches
- Generating greater interest in followership studies within the ILA and other organizations
- Developing a network of scholars who want to focus on followership and leader-follower relationships
- Creating a practitioner network of consultants, coaches, and leaders who employ leader-follower practices
- Supporting scholars and practitioners seeking to learn more about followership and to engage with others in the field
- Fostering collaborations on followership practices, research, publications, and pedagogical approaches
- Developing our online space on ILA Intersections to encourage conversations, collaborations, and networking.
Already an ILA Member?
Not a Member? Join ILA first.
Sample Followership Resources From ILA
ILA On-Demand Webinars
Live Webinar 29/30 June. Examine followership as a focus of interprofessional healthcare team (IHT) research and learn from examples of leadership and followership in a military IHT.
Live Webinar 1 June. Joanne Ciulla, leadership ethics expert and ILA Lifetime Achievement Awardee, discusses eight Aesop’s fables that illustrate mistakes followers make about those who lead.
Live 16 November, 12pm EST / -5UTC. The leadership discipline has given rise to many insights and ideas that work…sometimes. Explore the growing field of followership and discover that followers matter far more than we think they do!
Ira Chaleff and Neil Grunberg join Maureen to discuss the role of leadership and followership. Both are essential for a healthy organization and we each need know when to play each role.
From subtle misogyny to outright violent abuse, women continue to experience discrimination in patriarchal societies. But bonobos, with whom we share 98.7% of our DNA, enjoy a more equal society. Guest Diane Rosenfeld tells us there’s a lot our political and corporate leaders can learn from bonobo society.
Sharna Fabiano, Lacey Grey Hunter, & Lori Throupe discuss the March 2023 Global Followership Conference hosted by ILA’s Followership member community and Christopher Newport University.