with Tony Middlebrooks
Quotes From This Episode
- “I don’t know better, I know different.”
- “One of the things that I have been long fascinated with, as someone who studies creativity, is this notion of metaphorical thinking and how ideas from one world map onto another in ways that allow you to see those worlds in uniquely different ways…to see other perspectives and, and to see the spaces where innovation can really happen.”
- “The Von Restorff effect basically says that anything that is done that is significantly different from the norm from the ordinary is going to be more highly retained, more highly noticed, and more likely to be engaged.”
- “The design principle of balance…I love the notion of balance for leadership because there are so many things, and many of them paradoxical that you have to balance as a leader.”
- “A lot of folks use design thinking as a process, but in reality, it’s a set of mindsets.”
- “With this definition of entrepreneurship, you know, you’ve got a whole bunch of different skill sets, mindsets, and activities built into the notion of creating value.”
About the Guest
Tony Middlebrooks, Ph.D. teaches at the intersection of leadership, innovation, creativity, and design as Associate Professor and Director of the Siegfried Leadership Initiative for Horn Entrepreneurship at the University of Delaware. Dr. Middlebrooks has created and taught more than 35 different courses for all collegiate levels, and numerous experiential abroad programs. He received the University of Delaware Excellence in Teaching and Excellence and is the lead author of the textbook Discovering Leadership: Designing Your Success.
Host Scott J. Allen
Scott J. Allen, Ph.D., is the Standard Products—Dr. James S. Reid Chair in Management at John Carroll University. He is an associate professor and teaches courses in leadership, management skills, and executive communication. He is also a communications coach, consultant, author, podcast host, and entrepreneur. For almost two decades, he’s worked with clients to improve their leadership and communication skills. Learn more about Scott here.
Phronesis: Practical Wisdom for Leaders offers a smart, fast-paced discussion on all things leadership. Scott and his expert guests cover timely, relevant topics and incorporate practical tips designed to help you make a difference in how you lead and live.